Friday, September 11, 2009

Ashley's MRI Not Good

OK, I need to vent.....I just got off the phone with Ashley's Pediatric orthopedic doctor, who finally got back to me after the results of her MRI spinal scan done in May. I figured that since they had taken so long to get back to me that everything was ok. I started calling for results a few weeks ago..again, and the woman who was supposed to get the message to the doc doesn't work there anymore, so her info got lost in the middle.
So anyways, I get a call from him today and he said she DOES have foramen magnum stenosis AND a syrinx between C1 & C2 in her spinal cord! I am a little flippy right now. I'm trying to stay calm and I'm about to do some research to find out what this means and what the process will be.
He referred Ashley to a neurosurgeon.....never words a parent wants to hear!!! Ok, I'm off to meditate, hold my daughter and research. From what I already know a syrinx is a collection of fluid in her spinal cord at the base of her head. My guess is it is due to the stenosis of her foramen magnum, but I'll have to research to know all the full details. It is not however hydrocephalus because that is fluid build up around the brain, so we'll see what this says, hopefully it is something minor that will not require surgery. I'll be praying for that. I set up an appointment with the neurosurgeon for the 8th of october which was the earliest they had, so now it's on to the waiting game. Lord willing I can find some info to calm my nerves in the mean time.

3 comments:

  1. We've been lucky that this was never an issue for Caitlyn but I know that several of the other parents have dealt with decompression surgery. I'm sure that you'll get a good response from them. Our thoughts will be with all of you and you deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you get some comforting news. I will pray for Ashley. I don't know who you are referred to but Dr. Sood out of children's hospital is great. Thought I might pass that along. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear the news! Sonya had a questionable C1 C2 problem a few months ago... it turned out to be ok though. I can imagine your nerves right now must be shot! Tonya might know some info on this. We'll be keeping sweet Ashley in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete