Friday, January 9, 2009

Catch up on Ashley January 2009

SO.. I've been real bust with my newest so I added Ashley's posts from last year, well, really 2007, but it's still early so it seems like last year. Ashley will be 2 years old in March, the day before my twins turn 11. It makes for very easy birthday parties, can't beat parties in one shot:)
She has been walking around things for several months now, but doesn't quite have the courage to let go and cruise on her own. If she has your hands though it's all we can do to keep up with her as she practically runs around the house. She gets so excited!
We are starting to potty train her and yesterday she did her first poopy in the potty!!! Me being as sentimental as I am had to get several pictures for her scrapbook which my hubby thinks just isn't right, but it's monumental for her:) I am training her baby brother at the moment too who is 3 months old, so hopefulyy she will catch on even faster because she sees him use the potty. We'll see. I'm not gonna push her.
She has always done most of her gross motor skills ahead of time on the achondroplasia chart, so we were expecting her to walk between 16 & 18 months but she has proved us differently. She has had quite a growth in her cognitive and speaking skills the last few months, so it seems her brain is in that mode. I figure the more cognitive things she learns right now the more her brain will grow in this stage and help her in the future because those parts of her brain that control learning are being stimulted. So therefor, we've decided she will walk on her own. It is definitely going to happen eventually, so we figure why not keep harboring her desire for talking and learning sign language and let that develop at it's own pace.
It seems children go in stages between physical and mental learning, so I'm sure we'll know when she switches, and in the meantime, we'r enjoying learning our new words and signs. She has excellent communication skills and a vocabulary of over 20 words right now, so we're pretty happy with that.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I added your blog!! I 'll try to stop by often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go with the potty training! You're not the only one.... I took pictures for the scrapbooks too! 20 words is great too! Sonya just learned her first sign "milk". I can't wait to see her learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The home made dresses for Ashley are soooo cute! I just saw them at the bottom of the page. Love the one she wore to the LPA convention! What a cutie you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just happened to stumble across your blog and although I haven't explored your site much I just wanted to tell you how lovely Ashley is, and of course the rest of your family. When I was 27 weeks pregnant they diagnosed my baby with Achondroplasia, it was a very emotional time but my love for my unborn child only strengthened as I vowed to give them the best life and help them achieve their full potential. Some well meaning family and friends talked about the possibility of the doctors being wrong but I couldn't entertain such thoughts. Not because I would have been disappointed but because I had already embraced my child, and to hope for them to be anything other than who they were going to be felt like a rejection. Not that dwarfism defines Ashley if you know what I mean. For reasons that are a mystery to most, when my daughter was born it was immediately apparent they had been mistaken in their diagnosis. I was just profoundly relieved to hear her cries and to know she was breathing on her own as that was my biggest fear. Although our daughter does not have dwarfism my heart has always felt a special fondness for these special Little People. I will be visiting your blog again to read about your little Ashley and the rest of your family. You are all lucky to have one another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    my name is Alex and I also have a baby girl with achondroplasia. Here is my blog:

    http://loveisallyouneed-4.blogspot.com/

    I added your blog to my blog list, hope that's ok! :)
    Your kids are just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your link off of Tonya's blog. Ashley is beautiful! I especially love the photo of her with the stethascope in her ears while the other end is on your belly! And, how cool that you design clothes for LP. I can't wait to read more about you and your family!

    ReplyDelete